Canadian Buyers

What to do before you import:

Make sure your vehicle is admissible and can be modified to meet Canadian requirements TransportCanada List of vehicles admissible from the USA or call 1.888.848.8240. Contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer or authorized dealer of your vehicle to obtain a recall clearance letter. You must have this document in order to pass the Federal inspection. Determine additional costs, such as duty and taxes. Canada Border Services Agency, responsible for assessing and collecting duties and taxes, can be reached at 1-800-461-9999 (in Canada) or (506) 636-5064 (outside Canada). Make sure you have the required documentation: title documents, registration, sales receipts, statement of compliance label and manufacturer's recall clearance letter. Find out about any additional provincial or territorial requirements, such as safety inspections and emissions tests. Arrange for insurance on your vehicle. US Customs requires notification of all self-propelled vehicles being permanently exported from the United States. Their regulations state that at land border points: The required documentation must be submitted to U.S. Customs at least 72 hours prior to export; and The vehicle must be presented to U.S. Customs at the time of export. U.S. Customs recommends that you contact the port of crossing directly to determine exact documentation requirements and hours of operation.

What to Do at the Border Crossing:

Produce your title documents, registration and sales receipts Complete Vehicle Import Form ? Form 1, which CanadaBorderServiceAgency will provide. This requires a Canadian mailing address. This form must be kept in the vehicle until it is licensed. Canada Border Services Agency will check your vehicle against Transport Canada's List of Vehicles Admissible from the United States. They will also verify the public VIN and manufacturer's statement of compliance label on the vehicle to make sure they match. Canada Border Services Agency will collect your nonrefundable Registrar of Imported Vehicles' fee of $195.00 + GST in all provinces except Quebec where it is $195.00 + GST and QST. Payment for the RIV fee may be made directly to Canada Border Services Agency with any major credit card. Canada Border Services Agency does not accept cash or cheques for the RIV fee. If you wish to pay by cheque or money order, Canada Border Services Agency will provide you with a payment envelope which must be mailed to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles. Please note that all personal cheques will be held for ten business days in order to allow them to clear the bank. This will use up a portion of your 45 day time limit. Remember that payment of fees and receipt of the Vehicle Import Form ? Form 1 does not warrant that your vehicle is capable of being brought into conformity with all applicable federal and provincial or territorial laws. he Registrar of Imported Vehicles will not issue a federal inspection form or any specific modification information for a vehicle with an unpaid file. It is important that you do not proceed with any modifications on your vehicle until you receive this federal inspection form. If the file remains unpaid for 14 days after importation, we will send the importer a reminder of notice; if payment still has not been received within the proscribed 45 days after the date of importation, the file will be forwarded to Transport Canada for enforcement. The compliance status of every vehicle entering Canada through the RIV system is shared with all provincial and territorial licensing jurisdictions. Non compliance with the Motor Vehicle Safety Act may result in a refusal to license, or a revocation of an existing registration..

What to do after the vehicle enters Canada:

After payment and the recall clearance documentation have been received by the Registrar of Imported Vehicles an Inspection Form will be mailed which details what must be done to bring your vehicle into compliance. It is your responsibility to complete the necessary modifications within 45 days. You may have the modifications done by the mechanic or garage of your choice. However, we recommend that you contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer to discuss appropriate parts or warranty issues. Make sure you keep receipts for parts and labour, to present at the inspection, along with Form 1, Form 2 and the recall clearance letter. The RIV has contracted with Canadian Tire, with 430 locations across Canada, to perform our federal inspections. In many cases, Canadian Tire can perform certain modification work, as well as performing the provincial inspection. When you pass the inspection, the inspection centre will stamp your Form 1, that you will have to present to the provincial or territorial licensing authority , which may require additional testing. Within approximately one week of passing the federal inspection, we will send you a new Canadian Certification label with instructions on where to affix it to your vehicle. If the vehicle fails the inspection, you'll have to pay additional charges for another inspection. If the vehicle cannot pass the inspection within the 45 days, it will have to be exported back to the United States.

Registrar of Imported Vehicles fees:

* Vehicles entering the RIV program with a form 1 $195.00 + GST and QST for vehicles entering through a port in Quebec $195.00 + GST for vehicles entering through a port in any other province * Vehicles entering the RIV program with a form 3 (parts) $70.00 + GST and QST for vehicles entering through a port in Quebec $70.00 + GST for vehicles entering through a port in any other province * Reactivation fees for suspended files $56.98 for residents of Quebec $53.00 for residents of any other province The methods of payment have not changed. There are still 4 ways to pay: On-line payment (Visa or Master Card) Cheque or Money Order to be mailed along with your form to: REGISTRAR OF IMPORTED VEHICLES 405 THE WEST MALL TORONTO ON M9C 5K7 (Please note that personal cheques are placed on a 10 day bank hold) Debit Card for importers that visit the RIV office between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. (EST) Cash for importers that visit the RIV office between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. (EST)

Numbers you'll need:

Registrar of Imported Vehicles 1-888-848-8240 Fax: (416) 626-0366 Hours of service Mon. to Fri.: 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight (EST) Sat. and Sun.: 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (EST) Canada Border Services Agency In Canada: 1-800-461-9999 (English); 1-800-959-2036 (French) Outside Canada: (506) 636-5064 (English); (506) 636-5067 (French) Transport Canada In Canada: 1-800-333-0371 Outside Canada: (613) 998-8616 Fax: (613) 998-4831

Departments of Motor Vehicles Contact Information

Province/Territory: DMV website: Phone Number: Alberta AB Alberta Registries (403) 531-6575 British Columbia BC Motor Vehicle Branch (250) 387-7747 Manitoba MB Division of Driver & Vehicle Licensing (800) 665-2410 New Brunswick NB Motor Vehicle Branch (506) 453-3992 Newfoundland NF Motor Registration Division (709) 729-7333 Nova Scotia NS Registry of Motor Vehicles (902) 424-5851 Ontario ON Safety & Transportation Division (416) 235-2999 Prince Edward Island PEI Highway Safety Division (902) 368-5200 Quebec QU Societe de l'assurance automobile (800) 361-7620 Saskatchewan SK Saskatchewan Government Insurance (306) 775-6900 Yukon Territory YNT Yukon Territory Community & Transportation Service (867) 667-5315

Department hours

4430 Lawrenceville Hwy NW, Lilburn, GA 30047